In England, M.O.T works for tuning cars to make them roadworthy. In Spain, similar type of services are provided by Inspecciðn Técnica de Vehiculos (I.T.V).
When to get your Car Inspected by ITV:
New cars do not require inspection for a long period of time. New car owners can take sigh of relief for at least four years. However, after four year it is highly recommended to take ITV test after every two years. And, if you are using car for ten year, you must consider to undergo this test after every six months.
Inspection Rules for Vehicles (other than cars):
- Motorcycles: Motorcycles can survive without ITV for five years. After this period, one should take this test after every two years.
- Vans: The engine power of Vans is quite different from cars. That’s why, they can survive ten years without undergoing this inspection. After ten years, annual inspection of van is highly recommended.
- Caravans: Rule books allow caravans to live without this test for as long as six year. After this period, inspection after every two years is advice.
Cost of ITV Inspection in Spain:
Cost of this test varies from vehicle to vehicle and is mentioned below:
- Special Vehicles and towed cars: € 36.78
- For motorcycles and other two wheel vehicles they charge € 18.43
- Cars, vans, and campers €33.51
- Public transport vehicles ( 8 seat capacity) € 33.51
- Goods transportation vehicles € 36.78 if MMA < 3500 kg and € 41.30 if MMA is > 3500 Kg
- Vehicle used in Agriculture: € 37.56
More details about rate can be found on ITV Tariffs
Documentation Required for ITV test:
At time of your visit to ITV you should carry details about the registration of your vehicle. Current ITV card along with the fee mentioned in above heading. One should try to get ITV test done before the registration date mentioned on the green Inspeccion Tecnica card. Your vehicle type will also mentioned on the top corner of this card. You can find ITV station across Spain.
Procedure of ITV test:
You can take your car to ITV station yourself. Or else, if you are busy you can call for ITV car pick services. Minimal fee is applicable for this service. After paying the fee, you will have to show papers to the mechanic to start the processing. He will ask you to drive your vehicle through several check points. On the first station, your car will under light checking including car lights, indicators, wipers, seat belt etc. On the Second station, wheels of your car will be aligned by experts. At the third station, breaks of your car will be tested. At the last station, car oil is finally checked. Once this is done, you will park your car for the completion of paper work.
If your car passes the test, a certificate will be awarded. If fail, you will be ask to return to ITV situation with respective fixtures. If you manage to return same day, no extra charges will be applicable. A discount will be offer if you can repair you can within fifteen days.